Fiscal Fitness

Exercise used to be free. As a kid, I jumped rope, climbed trees, played tag and explored the woods behind our house. I grew up and switched to long distance bicycle jaunts and hiking to stay fit. Even with the cost of my three-speed bicycle, exercise was still cheap.

Over the years, that has changed a lot. My friend bemoaned the cost of sports fees for four athletic children. Hundreds of dollars to play baseball? What happened to a ball and bat on the back lawn? Dance class fees are exorbitant and that’s before they sock you with costume, recital and other special fees.

Yesterday, a friend Facebooked that she had started doing yoga. I figured that was an activity that shouldn’t be too pricey. Wrong again. She’s out trying to find yoga blocks, a mat, rings and balls. The mat needs a carrying bag or strap, the pillows and bolsters need covers and the balls (three types) need bases and a pump. Then, of course, there is the cost of instructional materials. Yikes! I’ll stick to walking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Beans

The Break

Stacked