Girls Will Be Girls


Calico’s birthday was Monday, but we were all feeling too sick to celebrate properly. Today, we’re working on rectifying that. I suggested a restaurant dinner, but Calico says she’s not feeling up to it. I suspect she’s afraid that I’ll tell our server and she’ll end up surrounded by singing employees as some DJ wannabe announces it to the whole restaurant! Looks like it will be a home celebration. Top on our list of things to do, is the birthday girl’s favorite cake, a dense cocoa based cake, frosted with chocolate icing and served with, what else?, chocolate ice cream.

It occurred to me that chocolate is one of the few things about us that screams “girly”. Our living room with its three dark recliners could just as easily be a man den. Both Calico and I have chosen careers that are dominated by men. We’re more comfortable in jeans and sneakers than dresses and heels. There’s an endless list of little things that you’d be more likely to find in an all guy house than an all girl one. I’m not sure why this is. It certainly wasn’t my mother’s style and I can’t figure out anything that might have influenced these preferences. Who knows?

Tonight, however, we’ll be doing the girly thing and overdosing on chocolate decadence. Mmmm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Beans

The Break

Stacked