Different Drums


Golden Oldies aren’t always so golden. Sometimes I catch myself grimacing as I wonder why I had ever loved a song. 

Different Drum doesn’t fit that category. Whenever I hear Linda Ronstadt belting out the lyrics, I get nostalgic for the days when it seemed that nothing could “pull the reins in on me”. Some of that spirit has stuck through the years and more than one person has called me a rebel. Rebellion has never been my intent, however, I just strongly believe in following my heart.

Decades later, I am pleased to watch Miss Muffin develop a strong sense of self. At least I am most of the time. When it comes to homeschooling, we’ve had a few clashes. I’d like her to do her daily assignments in a specific order. She has other ideas. We’ve had more than one negotiating session to reach a compromise. 

I’d love to see her learn a musical instrument. I dedicated myself to the piano at an early age and never seriously considered another instrument until I started playing with an autoharp in my thirties. Miss Muffin resembles a butterfly, flitting from one instrument to another. One day she is checking out a kid’s drum set, while the next finds her declaring her passion for the guitar. I’ve resigned myself to loosing this battle. Perhaps some day she’ll settle on an instrument but in the meantime, she’s marching to the beat of her own drum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Beans

The Break

Stacked