The Rebel

Mel Gibson in Braveheart screaming his final word, "Freeeeedom". Now that's a rebel.

Grandma?  Surely you've got to be kidding.   When it comes to avoiding conflict, I've got professional status.  Over the years, however, I've frequently heard that term applied to me.  Usually when I'm just doing something the way I want to.   That's what happened yesterday.

November is a week away and I've pledged to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days.  Some folks begin on November 1st with just an idea, others have prepared an outline and done some research.  But the goal of the  NaNoWriMo challenge is to write the 50,000 words in November.

I'd come up with some ideas, done a bit of research and produced a sketchy outline, which has already been substantially edited in my head.  Could I actually write a novel in a month?  That nasty troublemaker, Doubt, crept to the front of my mind, rudely shoving novel thoughts out of the way.  That's almost 1700 words a day, longer than any chapter in Convictions, which usually required three or four days of writing effort.  NaNoWriMo is not about finished work.  It takes a "quantity over quality" approach.  Turn off the internal editor and write.  Even so, that's a lot of words.  Were there enough hours in the day to do this? 

Late last night, I decided to find out.  With the rest of the house in bed, I sat down and began to type the prelude to my novel.  Two hours later, it was completed and a bit over 1700 words.  Doubt lingers but has been relegated to a dimly lit storage room.  Once again I'm focused on what need to be done to prepare for the month. 

Yes, the writing is not supposed to start until the 1st.  Cheating?  No, I'd prefer to think of myself as a rebel.


Grandma

Comments

  1. Cheating? No!!!!!!!!! I prefer to think of it as reverse procrastination!

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Beans

The Break

Stacked