Generation Gaps




Miss Muffin is a pretty easy kid to live with. She’s a good student, generally well-behaved, helpful and in possession of a fine sense of humor. She has reached the lofty age of ten, however, and although she is still unashamed to hang out with us, even in public, she has started to notice that her mother and grandmother have a few imperfections.

Most of her critiques are centered on music. Thankfully, she has gained some appreciation for classical. Although she wouldn’t choose it, she does listen and enjoy, whenever it is played. When it comes to those golden oldies, she displays far less tolerance. I was listening to oldies the other day and lyrics were floating in my head. “Let’s rock, everybody let’s rock.” The rolled eyes and incredulous look on Muffin’s face told me that the lyrics had escaped my head and made it to my mouth. I must have shuffled a bit too, because she broke down in fits of laughter.
“Grandma’s trying to dance. She thinks she can dance.”
Unable to resist, I started swaying my hips and belting out the song. Calico took the cue and came in to join me. Muffin closed her eyes and covered her ears. We sang a bit louder and longer before giving her a break.

Muffin usually gets her pick of music, when we’re riding in the car. Just wait until the next time, she starts bouncing to a beat or singing the lyrics to some current hit. Revenge is sweet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Beans

The Break

Stacked