The Wallpaper Theory

Stick with me for a minute It takes a bit to get to the wallpaper theory. Although I'm prone to meandering, I really am headed somewhere with this.

I began this blog a couple weeks ago. Of course, I had given it a lot of thought, done some research and created a web design. No one just gets up one morning and decides to write a blog. Right?

Let's restart with some honesty. A couple weeks ago I got up one morning and decided to start a blog. I hadn't planned on it. I didn't know much about doing it. I had no idea what I would write about. And I certainly didn't have a page designed. Had I mentioned that I'm also prone to impulsiveness?

I chose a template and wrote my first post. Since we were in the midst of the holiday season, I decided to customize just a bit and added a festive holly background. My daughter pitched in and provide a few graphics. At the end of the first day, I thought it was looking pretty good.

Alas the holiday season has ended. I've spent most of the last two days trying to come up with a new look for my blog. It's had it's moments. Creating a background and header was fairly easy. Getting the background and header to look good together was not. I persisted and came up with the page you see today. I've still got to add a few small graphics, but I'm almost done. I'm just not sure if I like the results.

Wallpaper Theory? Oh, yeah.

My first house was 100 years old and wallpaper was still popular. There were 14 rooms and I wallpapered most of them. Enthusiasm reigned as I purchased the paper. Struggling with the irregularities produced by 100 years of settling, dampened that enthusiasm. Errors that wasted paper and threatened a shortage would kill the remains of my excitement. While I forced myself to finish the job, I always hated the results. Friends and family would praise my work. I'd see nothing but irregularities and errors. I would be tempted to restart with new paper, but just couldn't face doing it again.

So a couple of weeks would pass. Strangely, the wallpaper began to look better. In a few months, I would be quite pleased with the results. I just needed a bit of time to get a more realistic perspective.

If wallpaper improved over time, what about other things? When I felt unsure about the results of a project, I'd remember the Wallpaper Theory and resist the impulse to immediately redo. It worked more times than not.

So that's what I'm doing with this design. Applying the wallpaper theory. Seeing if it works over time.

What do you think? I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions.

Grandma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Beans

The Break

Stacked